Beard Trimming: How to Maintain Scruff and Stubble | Gillette STYLER
How to Maintain Stubble
A little stubble can be just as attractive as a full beard, especially if it’s properly kept and maintained. Grooming your stubble requires a bit more work than simply not shaving, but putting the time and effort in will give you a Hollywood-grade look that’s sure to make you the center of attention wherever you go.
To make sure you have an even amount of stubble, first let your facial hair grow out for about 1 week. Then, shave it down using the long setting on an electric hair trimmer. Once you have an even length to work with, trim the hair in increments to create the design you want. If you encounter any stray hairs or rough edges, clean them up using a standard safety razor.For tips on how to trim or fade your neckline stubble, read on!
Deciding If Stubble Is Right for You
Decide your face type.Though men may like the designer stubble look for several reasons, you should especially consider it if you’re prone to shaving irritation and ingrown facial hairs. Maintaining the hairs at a short length can help clear up skin, and it can also give baby-faced men a more rugged, handsome look.
Stop shaving to gauge your beard growth.Some men may think they can’t pull off stubble due to sparse or patchy facial hair growth. When shaving every day or two, this can be hard to determine since some hair may simply grow more slowly. Stop shaving longer than you normally would—up to a week even—and decide then if you believe your hair growth can warrant a stubble look.
Be prepared to maintain it.If you’re looking for a truly low-maintenance facial hair style, then the stubble look may not be for you. Though you don’t have to tend to stubble every single day, you’ll still have to clean it up approximately three times a week, and the process can potentially take longer than regular shaving alone.
Part 1 Quiz
What is a benefit of keeping facial hair at a short length?
Determining Your Ideal Stubble Length
Stop shaving.Let your stubble grow to the point of being a short beard. As with a regular haircut, you can always take more off, but you can’t put back what is no longer attached. Grow your beard to a length that you know is slightly longer than you’d ever want to keep your stubble.
- How long this will take depends entirely on your particular beard growth. For some men this may take three or four days while for others it could be over a week.
Use a long setting on your hair trimmer.Start with a slightly longer setting on your trimmer such as a 4. This will take all of your hair down to an even length. Especially for men with dark, thick beards, this setting will probably be too scruffy for the look they want, but it works for some—think Hugh Jackman.
Shorten in increments.Once you have an even length to work with, begin trimming your stubble down in increments to find the right length for you. The length you decide on will ultimately depend on your hair density, hair color, and how clean of a designer stubble look you want.
- Remember that you may also choose to keep the stubble on different parts of your face at different lengths to achieve a cleaner look. You may decide that the best look for you is using a 3 setting along your jaw and moustache but a 2 setting on your cheeks to create a more blended look that fades rather than ends dramatically.
- Don’t worry if taking the length down makes spots like your cheeks feel patchy. Some men such as Ryan Gosling rock the designer stubble look with barely any hair extending onto their cheeks. You’ll clean up those patchy spots in the next step.
Clean the edges.Once you have the length of your stubble where you want it, you can take care of stray hairs or asymmetrical spots by cleaning up around the edges. For this, you can take the setting guard off your trimmer to use it as a set of electric clippers, or you can use a plain old safety razor.
- Common areas to clean up while edging include the sparse hairs some men get high up on their cheek bones or upper lip hairs that might take away from the definition one wants in his moustache.
Part 2 Quiz
True or False: You should start with a high setting on your trimmer, even if you want a very light stubble
Trimming Your Neckline
Decide how you want your neckline stubble.For many men, deciding how they want the stubble look to transition to their neckline is the hardest part. If you decide on a slightly longer, more rugged look with your stubble, then you probably want to keep some stubble on your neck as well. For a cleaner look—or if the hair growth on your neck is too patchy—then you can clean it up in an easy way.
Fade the hair at your neckline.If you decide to keep some of the stubble on your neck, then fade it out. Shorten the length to a 2 setting past your jawline and then to a 1 setting around your Adam’s apple.This allows you to fade the hair out in a natural way without leaving a sharp contrast between stubble on your face and a smooth neck.
Shave it just beyond your jawline.If you keep a shorter, cleaner stubble look and don’t want the hair to extend to your neck, then you can shave it smooth just beyond your jawline. Take your fingers and feel for the spot just behind your jawbone under your chin where the skin gets soft and you can push at it; this is the spot where you want to create your natural edge for your neckline.By shaving starting at this point, you allow the stubble to extend down the visible portion of your jawline and the sharp contrast line stays hidden under your chin.
Part 3 Quiz
Why should you shave behind your jawline if you are looking for a "cleaner" look?
QuestionIs clean shaven the best look?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIt depends on your personal preferences.Thanks!
QuestionI am 17 years old I am not getting a properly-shaped beard. How can I get one?Community AnswerThat will depend on your genetics. Ask your dad, uncle, grandfather what age they were when they were first able to grow a beard. Some men have full beards at 14, while some men are in their thirties and unable to sprout anything on their cheeks. If you want a shorter style, opt for a pencil beard or a goatee instead. Don't worry, though, maybe you'll just have to wait another couple of years for your beard to finish developing.Thanks!
QuestionWhat is the best length to grow stubble?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIt's up to you. Leave your stubble at a length you like, or ask other people what they think about it.Thanks!
- Electric beard razors with adjustable attachments are the best way to regulate stubble growth. It is very difficult to make an even trim with single-blade razors or non-electric razors, and patches or irregularities will often result.
- Try testing out your stubble over a weekend, on vacation, or during another period of time during which your appearance is not as important as usual. The rate of beard growth and the effects are often unpredictable when working with stubble.
- Hair close to the face that is constantly agitated by shaving or trimming has a tendency to develop oils and irritate the skin. Be sure to wash the area in and around the stubble frequently to avoid pimples or other unsightly developments.
- Ingrown hairs are common with stubble. These will appear as a small bump on the skin with a hair protruding. Pick these off with tweezers. Do not use fingers, as dirt in nails could lead to infection.
Things You'll Need
Adjustable facial hair trimmer
Sources and Citations
In other languages:
Español: , Italiano: , Русский: , Português: , Deutsch: , Français: , Tiếng Việt: , Nederlands: , العربية:
Video: Facial Hair Grooming Tips: Beard Grooming and Designer Stubble
Exclusive: Shop This Amazing Sandro Sale That’s Only Going On ThisWeekend
Gossip Girl Spoilers And More From The Lord TaylorEvent
Go From Ouch to Ahh: Down Dog
Do You Know Whats In Your Supplements A New Investigation Says Probably Not
Marni for HM
Moroccan Chicken Stew
The Secret to Living Longer
How to Buy Gold Jewelry
RANKED: These are the breakfast cereals with the least sugar
How to Eat Sushi
5 Changes You Can Expect When Melania Trump Moves Into the White House
How to Measure the Length x Width x Height of Shipping Boxes
Maria Grazia Chiuri’s Dior Couture Spring 2019 Collection Is an Ode To Nature
Is Washing Your Face With Sparkling Water the Secret to Amazing Skin
How to Rally a Team